Your skin gets put through the wringer. Every day, it’s exposed to harmful UV rays, and even though you always (sometimes?) remember to wear a high SPF sunscreen. Your cortisol (stress hormone) levels are probably through the roof because wedding planning isn’t exactly a picnic. Are you remembering to thoroughly cleanse your face every day, or do you find yourself resorting to those ‘facial cleansing wipes’ that claim to remove even eye makeup? Come on, you know those don’t really clean your face, right?
That’s okay, it’s going to get easier. Even if you’re just starting to plan your wedding (and haven’t yet had that fun conversation with your parents and your soon-to-be in-laws about who gets to invite how many people) or if you’ve got everything on lock and you’re tying the knot next week: it’s not too late to ensure your skin is in top condition.
Always use a gentle cleanser that’s intended for facial skin. Don’t even look in the direction of a bar of soap! Don’t sleep in your makeup (you know this already!). Remove eye makeup completely. Check out Dermalogica’s Ultracalming Cleanser for total makeup removal on environmentally stressed skin types. It’s never too early to start your pre-wedding skincare routine.
Always stay hydrated by drinking lots of water, and avoid soft drinks and coffee which can have a drying effect on skin, especially the week before the wedding.
Always use a toner after cleansing to re-balance the pH of your skin. If you don’t have a toner you like, or find that they sting or they’re too drying, try a mineral water spray. After trying almost all of the mineral sprays that are available in stores, I’ve found that the best one is the Royal Canadian Laboratories Mineral Water Spray. The rich concentration of minerals in this spray absorb quickly into the upper layers of the skin, creating a perfect primer for your moisturizer, as well as having a ton of other benefits:
- Relieves dryness that causes itching and irritation.
- It’s great for relieving sunburn or heat rashes.
- The mineral water with its natural formulation fights bacterial growth on your skin to purify your skin texture. This will help treat many skin related problems, and result in younger looking skin.
- Your skin needs minerals and nutrients for healthy growth.
- Mineral water facial sprays include a mineral called Selenium, which reinforces the defenses of your skin and helps protect your skin against the effects of pollution, unhealthy diets, water chlorination effects and medication.
Take care of your skin in the days leading up to your wedding, and you’ll achieve the same glowing, effortless beauty you see in bridal magazines!